New or changed features for Beta 2
- The ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0 extension for this release has been changed from supporting VirusScan Enterprise versions 8.5i and 8.7i to supporting only VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i. To place the Beta 2 version of VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i under ePO management, extract the extension from the VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Beta 2 package and check it into ePO.
- An “Alert when a cookie detection” option has been added to the reports tab of each ODS task to control the logging and alerting of cookie detections when AntiSpyware Enterprise is installed. This option is enabled by default in Beta 2 so it will function like Beta 1, but will be disabled by default in the final product release.
- A “Scan Processes on enable” option has been added to the General tab of the On-access Scanner (OAS) General Settings to control the scanning of running processes when OAS is enabled. This option is enabled by default.
- Real-time Malware Defense is a new feature which allows VirusScan Enterprise to check a file being scanned against updated detection information on a McAfee server during ODS and On-Delivery Email scans. A drop-down box titled “Heuristic network check for suspicious files” has been added to the Performance tab of each ODS task and the Scan Items tab of the On-Delivery Email Scan Properties. Please see the product readme for more details.
- The ability to set Buffer Overflow exclusions by API has been re-introduced into this Beta release of VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i.
- Quarantining of cookie detections has been turned off by default and will now require a registry key modification to turn on.
Key features and improvements in Beta 1
- Support for Microsoft Windows 2008 Server (Longhorn).
- Improved local control of on-demand scans (ODS)
• Monitors battery state & full screen awareness then allows the end user to delay scheduled ODS when system is low on battery or during full screen presentations
- ODS usability improvements
• Right click ODS now prompts the user to choose to either (a) Clean any malware, or (b) Continue (report only).
- Enhanced system throttling
• Includes registry and memory scanning, in addition to file scanning
- Additional Access Protection Rules for virtual machines
• Prevents changes to the VMware settings and configuration, files and folders, and active processes
- New mail scanner
• Improved reliability with double-byte and multi-byte languages